Three engineers and three accountants are traveling by train to a conference. At the station, the three accountants each buy tickets and watch as the three engineers buy only a single ticket. “How are three people going to travel on only one ticket?” asks an accountant. “Watch and you’ll see,” answers an engineer.
They all board the train. The accountants take their respective seats but all three engineers cram into a restroom and close the door behind them. Shortly after the train has departed, the conductor comes around collecting tickets. He knocks on the restroom door and says, “Ticket, please.” The door opens just a crack and a single arm emerges with a ticket in hand. The conductor takes it and moves on. The accountants saw this and agreed it was quite a clever idea.
- conference = 会議、会合
- board = 乗り込む、乗車する
- respective = それぞれの、各自の
- depart = 出発する
- conductor = 車掌
- emerge = 現れる、出現する
So after the conference, the accountants decide to copy the engineers on the return trip and save some money (being clever with money, and all that). When they get to the station, they buy a single ticket for the return trip. To their astonishment, the engineers don’t buy a ticket at all. “How are you going to travel without a ticket?” says one perplexed accountant. “Watch and you’ll see,” answers an engineer.
When they board the train the three accountants cram into a restroom and the three engineers cram into another one nearby. The train departs. Shortly afterward, one of the engineers leaves his restroom and walks over to the restroom where the accountants are hiding.
- to one’s astonishment = 驚いたことに
- perplexed = 当惑した
- cram into = ぎゅうぎゅう詰めにする
- He imitates a dog, “Bow wow.”
- He starts playing the ukulele and says, “Would you like to dance with me?”
- He starts smoking and shouts, “Fire, fire, open the door!”
- He says, “I am the police officer. Your friend just called me that you didn’t have a ticket.”
- He knocks on the door and says, ”Ticket, please.”
- He says, “Hello, are you there? The boss is calling you. He needs your help.”
- He says, “We are on the wrong train. You stay there until the last stop. Okay?”
- He tries to unlock the door and says, “The key is broken!”
- He quietly says, “Hey, I need to use the restroom immediately. Can I?”
- He laughs out loud and says, “You cannot cheat on the conductor. I told him you all were hiding here.”
0 of 1 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 1 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed